Tuesday, January 3, 2012

coffee clutch/coffee klatsch, coffee klatch: Entry for Wednesday, January 4, 2012

coffee clutch/coffee klatsch, coffee klatch

“Coffee klatsch” comes from German Kafeeklatsch meaning “coffee chat.” Like English “kindergarden” from German Kindergarten, this is a compound word of which only one element has been translated, with the other being left in its original German spelling.   Many people anglicize the spelling further to “coffee klatch” or “coffee clatch.” Either one is less sophisticated than “coffee klatsch,” but not too likely to cause raised eyebrows.   “Coffee clutch” is just a mistake except when used as a deliberate pun to label certain brands of coffee-cup sleeves or to name a cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment