Monday, August 18, 2014

graffiti: Common Errors in English Usage Entry for Monday, August 18, 2014

Graffiti is an Italian plural form. One scrawl on a wall is a graffito. But few English speakers are aware of this distinction and say things like “there’s a graffiti on the storefront.” This is not usually considered incorrect, but people who know Italian may disapprove, so you might want to use the word only in the plural.

No comments:

Post a Comment