Monday, April 14, 2014

gauge/gouge: Common Errors in English Usage Entry for Monday, April 14, 2014

“Gauge” is an unusual spelling in English, and the word frequently gets misspelled. Your spelling-checker will catch “gague” (believe it!), but won’t catch “gouge,” which occurs more often than you might think. It’s pretty easy to find a “tire pressure gouge” for sale on the Web. If the word you want has an A sound in it, the spelling you want is “gauge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment